Kyoto Climate & Temperature
- Kyoto, Japan is at 35°0'N, 135°43'E, 47 m (153 ft). See map.
- Kyoto has a humid subtropical climate that is mild with no dry season, constantly moist (year-round rainfall). Summers are hot and muggy with thunderstorms. Winters are mild with precipitation from mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Kyoto is situated in or near the cool temperate wet forest biome.
- The annual mean temperature is 15.3 degrees Celsius (59.5 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 23.7 °C (42.7°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype subcontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 9.7°C (49.4°F) on average falling to 1.1°C (34°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 18.9°C (66.1°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 8.4°C (47.1°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 30.5°C (86.9°F) and average low temperatures are 21.5°C (70.8°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 22.5°C (72.4°F) during the day and lows of 13.1°C (55.5°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1581.2 mm (62.3 inches) which is equivalent to 1581.2 Litres/m² (38.78 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2011 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Kyoto you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Torres, Brazil where you would find a Humid subtropical climate (Subtropical moist forest biome).
Kyoto Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Kyoto Climate Graph in Metric Units
Kyoto Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Kyoto, Japan Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Fukui, Japan - 123.7 kms (76.9 miles) NNE
- Tsuruga, Japan - 76.8 kms (47.7 miles) NNE
- Gifu, Japan - 102.8 kms (63.9 miles) ENE
- Hikone, Japan - 54.7 kms (34 miles) ENE
- Nagoya, Japan - 113.4 kms (70.4 miles) E
- Yokkaichi, Japan - 77.6 kms (48.2 miles) E
- Ueno, Japan - 47.1 kms (29.3 miles) SE
- Tsu, Japan - 78.3 kms (48.7 miles) ESE
- Nara, Japan - 36.4 kms (22.6 miles) SSE
- Owase, Japan - 114 kms (70.8 miles) SSE